Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Lake House Family trip

A few months ago Justin told me we needed a family get-a-way, just us and the kids. I asked him where he would like to go and he said, "I just want a cool lakehouse that you can walk out your back door and go fishing". I got on the computer and did quite a bit of research to find the perfect place, well one that fit his description. So, we decided on a date and we were off for 6 days of family good ole fun.

The place that I had found, well was, rustic. VERY RUSTIC. I knew that picking a town in Arkansas that I hadn't even heard of was risky. I thought in my mind that it would be like being at home just a really close place to fish, well not so much. You forget all the things that are just so much easier at your home with little ones. You forget that everything in your house is baby proofed and when you go somewhere new you have to watch them every second. I do need to make a disclaimer here and saying, the place really wasn't that bad. I think it if I wasn't in the "mood" I was in and the babies were a year or two older it definitely would have been a great place to stay. I think that I'm totally and certainly a city girl now and have no desire to be in the woods or country. The bugs were awful, the spiders were the biggest I'd seen in a long time. I just can't sleep thinking that in the dark they are going to climb into bed with me and bite me. There were also roaches, gross. I just couldn't even get good sleep at this place. I kept thinking that there was a bear or a cougar outside the window just waiting to attack us in our sleep. Maybe I should stop watching A & E??




After three days of fussy babies and bugs for days I was ready to go home. I did ask to leave 2 days early. Justin and Mason weren't ready to go just yet. I did understand that were paid up until Sunday and it would be a waste of money if we left early. I just couldn't do until then. So, Justin said I could go....and I did. I took Nash and Presley (leaving Justin and Mason at the cabin without a car) and went to my Brother's house in Bentonville. Bentonville was only a mere 3 hours away. I could do this. I was determined to get outta Dodge.



After talking to my Mom, my Sister-in-law, and another good friend of mine, they all said...."Really you left your husband and first born in a cabin in the middle of nowhere without a car? What if something happened, what is wrong with you", I knew that if I stayed there no one would be happy or have any fun. I think they were glad to see us go.

Bentonville was heaven when we arrived. I couldn't wait to take a long shower (the shower at the cabin was so tiny and I had to bathe the kids in the kitchen sink) and sleep without thinking a bug was crawling in my bed. We actually had a good time. I got to see a lot of people. I got to see my brother and sister-in-law, my bestie Alexis, and Russell and his family. Russell is a really good friend of mine that I've had forever. He's pretty much family to me.

We came back on Saturday, in no hurry of course, to stay the night and get up to leave with Justin and Mason on Sunday. I was SO ready to be back in my own house, in my own bed. We all were actually, except for Mason. He was so nervous that the next day was the first day of real school. He was nervous, but he really loved the cabin and loved fishing. He's good at it!



The family trip part of it was a bust, but I'm glad that Justin got to do what he wanted and Mason had a fun time fishing and eating Sm ores with his Dad. I think they needed that bonding time anyway.

SO moral of the story, next time take me to the BEACH. I'm just not cut out to be an outdoors woman.

4 comments:

Mrs. McL said...

girl, I'm with you...outdoors are no fun!

kawalker15 said...

I hear you on the bugs and cabin. Beach and hotel/beach house is much more comfy. Sorry it wasn't all you guys expected but it sounds like it worked out okay. See ya later!

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

Sorry I had typos....


Oh my! You are not the Arkansas girl I thought you were. You act like you were staying in a tent or something. LOL! I'm glad Justin and Mason had a great time. Tell Justin nothing but the Four Seasons next time.